One of the annoying situations when using iPhone with computer is that iPhone doesn’t show up in iTunes. Below I list all possible solutions to fix this problem.
First you need to check the following before trying other tricks:
- Make sure your USB cable is compatible, many lighting cables are only for charging, not for connecting to a computer.
- Restart your iOS device and PC
- Try changing the USB port on your computer, there is a chance that your PC USB port is malfunctioning.
- Turn off restrictions on your iOS device by going to Settings → General → Restrictions →turn this off.
- Update iTunes to the latest version and also update your iOS to the latest version
- Completely uninstall iTunes, QuickTime, Apple Application Support, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Software Update, and Bonjour. Then reinstall iTunes, it will automatically reinstall other services
- Make sure you pressed the Trust button on your iOS device when you connected it to your Mac/Windows
If you’ve done all the basic troubleshooting and your iPhone still won’t show up in iTunes, you’ll have to do some of the technical procedures below.
On a Mac
Check out iTunes service
Step 1: Open Spotlight on your Mac and search for Activity Monitor.
Step 2: Open up Activity Monitor and make sure you select the view mode All Processes.
Step 3: Check from the list of processes, if the iTunes Helper service is running.
Step 4: If the service is not found in the list, you need to reinstall iTunes.
Check if your iPhone is being detected in iTunes. If this does not resolve the issue, continue with the steps below.
Uninstall iTunes from Terminal
Step 1: Run Terminal.
Step 2: In the terminal window, type the following commands one by one to force uninstall iTunes:
- cd /Applications
- sudo rm -r iTunes.app
Step 3: Once the process is complete, download a fresh copy of the latest version of iTunes and install it.
This will definitely solve the problem of iPhone not showing up in iTunes.
On Windows PC
Step 1: Open C:Windows and file search USBAAPL.SYS.
Step 2: Right click on the file and select Open File Location, then copy all the files to a new files directory.
Step 3: Open Device Manager, find Apple iPhone from below item Portable devices and right click to select Update Driver Software.
Or try this way
Step 1: Exit iTunes and disconnect iPhone from the computer.
Step 2: Uninstall iTunes.
Step 3: Check directory C:Program FilesCommon FilesApple. If the folder exists, delete it.
Step 4: Check C:UserUsernameAppDataLocalApple and Apple Computer. If the folders exist, delete them.
Step 5: Check directory C:UserUsernameAppDataLocalLowApple and Apple Computer. If the folders exist, delete them.
Step 6: Check directory C:UserUsernameMy Music. If the iTunes folder exists, delete it.
Step 7: Restart your computer after the above steps, launch the iTunes setup file to reinstall it.
Step 8: Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone to your computer via a USB cable.
See if iTunes can detect your iPhone normally.
Or, if the above doesn’t work, use this ultimate:
Step 1: Right click on My Computer → Properties → Device Manager.
Step 2: Right click on AppleMobile DeviceUSB Drive → Update Driver Software.
Step 3: Now browse to the path: C:Program FilesCommon FilesAppleMobile Device SupportDriver to make sure the software is up to date.
Step 4: Restart your computer and connect your iPhone to your computer via USB cable, then open iTunes to see if iPhone is detected.
Above are the ways to solve your iPhone not showing in iTunes problem. What worked for you or you have other solutions, please share in the comments section below!