MacOS 12 Monterey is out in beta for Apple developers. The successor to macOS Big Sur has several new features, including Shortcuts for Mac, an updated Safari app, and more.
This guide is for installing the developer beta of macOS Monterey.
Which devices are compatible with macOS Monterey
macOS 12 “Monterey” is compatible with:
- iMac (late 2015 or later)
- iMac Pro (2017 and later)
- MacBook Air (early 2015 or later)
- MacBook Pro (early 2015 and later)
- Mac Pro (late 2013 or later)
- Mac mini (late 2014 or later)
- MacBook (early 2016 and later)
How to Create an Archived Backup of Your Mac with Time Machine
Before you begin, make sure you’ve backed up your Mac. The download and installation process is fairly easy, but any time you make significant changes to your computer, you run the risk of problems.
To keep your data safe, even if you just backed up everything the night before, make sure your Mac is fully backed up.
- Connect an external hard drive or Time Capsule with a USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt cable.
- Click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen > select System Preferences.
- Choose Time Machine in the System Preferences window.
- Rotate Time Machine slide over On.
- Click Select Backup Disk and select the disk you want to use.
Time Machine will format the hard drive for backup and get it up and running within two minutes.
How to install macOS 12 Monterey beta
Step 1: Go to the page BetaProfiles. Click the . button Install Profile right below the item MacOS Beta Profile.
Step 2: Press Allow.
Step 3: You will receive a file macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.dmg. Click on it to run.
Step 4: Click on the correct item macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.pkg.
Step 5: Choose tiếp tục.
Step 6: Follow the steps on the screen in turn to install the beta profile. Once done, you will receive a notification that you can update to macOS 12 Beta, wait for it to download and then click Upgrade Now.
Step 7: Choose tiếp tục.
Step 8: Choose Agree.
Step 9: Select the macOS installation drive (usually the default), then press tiếp tục.
Step 10: Wait for the installation of macOS 12 Beta.
Step 11: After the installation is complete, click Restart to restart. You will need to wait another 5-10 minutes for the process to complete.
Once done, you will receive the macOS 12 Monterey beta to experience the new features.